How To Jailbreak and Install Kodi on The Amazon FireStick Hack
What does it mean to "Jailbreak" a Fire Stick or Fire TV?
Many people ask us what it means to "Jailbreak" a FireStick or Fire TV. When you hear people raving about Jailbroken FireSticks, what they are referring to is modifying the Fire TV operating system in a way that will allow you to install third party apps that are not approved for release on the Amazon App Store. This process is technically called side-loading apps on Fire TV. For our own purposes, we use the terms Jailbreaking a FireStick, Unlocking a FireStick, and side-loading a FireStick interchangeably.
The most popular third party app is Kodi as it has become synonymous with Jailbroken streaming devices. Kodi is an app that was originally created for the Xbox long before it officially supported all of the streaming functionality it has today, but since then it has been modified to run on almost any device.
Because Kodi is open source, many developers create their own addons. You can think of addons as apps within Kodi itself. These Kodi addons will allow you to access TV shows, live TV, live sports that you cannot access via the Amazon Fire TV operating system itself.
The following guide will teach you how to install Kodi 17.4 and begin to unlock your Amazon 2nd Generation Firesticks and Fire TV Box. It's pretty easy once you know what to do, but for the less technical folks out there you can always purchase one from our partners at techlife.tv with all the best Kodi TV and Movie addons preloaded.
How To Install Kodi Krypton 17.6 on Fire Stick and Fire TV
Before proceeding, we highly recommend streaming via a Virtual Private Network (VPN). By connecting through a VPN, all of your internet traffic will be encrypted and hidden from your internet service provider.
Our favorite, most reliable VPN service for streaming media on Fire Stick and Fire TV is IPVanish. For more information about protecting yourself with VPN as well as an instructional video on how to install IPVanish on your Fire TV please see our article here.
1. From your Fire TV Home Screen, navigate to Settings>System>Device
2. Scroll down and select Developer Options
3. Turn Allow apps from unknown sources ON
4. Navigate back to the Amazon Fire TV home screen all the way to the left to Search. Type in Downloader. As you are typing, you should see the option to select Downloader App.
5. Select Download and then Install.
6. Open Downloader
7. Select Allow
8. Where it says to enter a URL enter http://kodi.tv/download and then select Go
Tired of typing with the remote control? This super convenient Fire TV keyboard will save you a lot of time and hassle. Worth its weight in gold if you use your device often.
9. Once the page loads, you can use the navigation pad on your remote like a mouse. Place the red cursor over ARMV7A (32 BIT) (The top one where it says Release) and hit enter on your Fire TV remote.
10. Select Install in the bottom left hand corner.
11. After the confirmation, go back to the Amazon Home Screen. Find the section called YOUR APPS & GAMES and scroll all the way to the right select See All.
12. Scroll down and hover over the Kodi Icon. DO NOT SELECT IT YET!
13. With the Kodi Shortcut Highlighted, hit the menu button on your remote.
14. A menu will pop up in the bottom-right hand corner of your screen. Select Move To Front. This will send Kodi to the front of your home screen and save you a lot of time in the future.
15. Now the Kodi shortcut will live on the front page of your Fire TV menu as shown below.
Congratulations, you have made it through the most important step of jailbreaking your Amazon Fire TV Device!
The next step is to install the best Kodi add-ons that will allow you to access movies, TV shows, live TV and sports. We have up to date tutorials for all of best Kodi Add-ons, as well as tutorials on how to install some Kodi alternatives.
A note on "Kodi Builds" and "Wizards"
We always recommend installing add-ons individually rather than one-click "Kodi builds." While these builds are a convenient way to get a lot of add-ons really fast, they not allow the individual add-ons to update automatically which is crucial to keeping your device up and running smoothly. We also find that builds are loaded with a ton of content you won't ever need, and end up bogging down your device.
That being said, nothing is undoable, and you can always uninstall any builds or add-ons easily. If you would like to experiment with a build, we recommend installing the No Limits Magic Build which offers a wide array of important add-ons and apps for Kodi in one installation.
To install the No Limits Magic Build, please visit our easy to follow, step-by-step tutorial.
Best Kodi Add-ons for Movies and TV shows
Get started by installing these top Kodi Add-ons with our step-by-step tutorials.
2. Genesis Reborn
Best Non-Kodi Apps for watching Live TV
You can watch TNT for free by installing the following apps on your Fire Stick using our easy to follow guides:
Set TV is a paid IPTV app with 500+ live TV channels. It includes league passes for NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, and free PPV events for only $20 a month. Reliable streaming in an easy to use app has quickly made Set TV the number one choice for Sports Fans with Fire TVs. You can click here for a free trial.
LiveNet TV is a free TV app with 150+ live TV channels in 7 categories. It is easy to stream your favorite channel for free on Live NetTV apk.